Saturday, July 12, 2008

juuust a thought

Today someone asked me who some of my favourite artists were. (This, my friends, is probably my favourite question to be asked. And I never feel like I have an answer. But only when I don't feel like someone's about to assess me. Nevertheless, my heart flutters and my mind dances at the opportunity. Tonight it was asked just right.)

I said, "contemporary artists?" "Sure."

hmmm.

You know who came to mind? One of Spiro's friends. And it kills me to say it, but I forget her name. (It really kills me...I mean, I could probably tell you the names of most of Sharelle's church friends as well as who they are currently engaged to or dating.) Anyhow, this girl's paintings are wonderful, and I hope if she reads my further description of it she isn't offended. It reminds me alot of Warhol's commercial art. I wish I could include some of her prints. There's one of a ballerina and a swan that kills me. It's the kind of painting wherein simple subjects are not only validated but enchantment ensues from them.

In paritcular, Warhol made this one print called the Whimsical Calf that I really love, but I couldn't find a copy of it. I did find this shoe though...


all this to say, I like to be asked the question. And I'm going to go watch Amelie.

3 comments:

Spiro said...

i love her art too! her name is gaelyn, and here's a post i made about her:
http://whoisspiro.blogspot.com/2007/02/im-in-love-with-world-through-eyes-of.html

Sharelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharelle said...

you know what i like about deleting comments - people always wonder what you said that was so bad that you needed to delete it.

honestly, it was a typo :)

bonnie dowling - i love that you know the names of all my friends. but i also hate it, because it means i have CLEARLY over-talked the whole thing. classic. sorry about that. you're the best.

i'm glad you're posting.