Saturday, December 09, 2006

So this is christmas...

Can I paint you a little picture?

Bonnie's in her room at the two-four, lit by candles and christmas lights. The likes of Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry and Otis Redding are singing their favourite carols, she's wearing a big sweater, long underwear, leg warmers and socks. She's eating a biscuit with cheese and drinking peppermint tea. (Classic). There's three feet of snow outside, and you can watch people breathe. The joy is suffocating.

I was trying to explain my love of Christmas to Jody yesterday, who shares my affection. I couldn't do it. It's something indescribeable. I think the closest I came was something like, I spend the entire year somewhere between faith and unbelief, never feeling more one than the other, though hoping for the former. Then, the snow falls, the candles are lit and advent is upon us, and for this month I can't escape belief. There's something too Transcendent in the festival, in the joy and beauty. So I spend this month anxious, joyfull and laughing but anxious nonetheless, an organic and breathing intensity. Somehow, I find either articulation or expression or something like that...relief I guess, from my dear mysterious lover, a mr. John Lennon...Happy Christmas...it's been on repeat for the last 3 hours.

2 comments:

Christy Childers said...

"for just this one month i can't escape belief." that rocks.

hey, where's the rest of the countdown? your fans await...

Spiro said...

bon, love you. miss you. wish i could talk about everything with you.