Thursday, January 01, 2009

happiness is a warm gun...

The Truth: I've spent the last 2 months trying to figure out my password for blogger. (no over-zealous attempts obviously.) Then I forgot my blog address for a while. Finally I realized it's the same password as my gmail account (incredibly obvious I realize now..like I said, not overly zealous) and I am back baby.

The Current Situation: I should be cleaning the church. I'm working on it. I actually really love cleaning the church. I just bring the old ipod and sing in the sanctuary and sweep and mop. There's something blissfully monastic about it (save the ipod), and it's a wonderful change from answering phones full of questions I don't know the answers to. Mops never ask you anything.

And we're into 2009. Shnikes. This also means that Caleb and I will be wed in 38 days. And everytime I think I about it that old panic attack rears its sharp little head. It's a good kind of panic. There's life in it, that is. Caleb & I are having a good time in marriage prep, we feel a little like the whole church has taken us on, or welcomed us in, or something. It's good though. There's one couple in particular that seems to deeply share our ambition to use the time preparing for marriage as a way to plough into the Church's marriage rite, to feed and water the leviathon of commitment that it pertains to. To leave behind us any assumption that this is primarily about why Caleb and I think we ought to be married and instead be taken into the Truth that the Marriage Rite doesn't care what we think, that it is much greater, much more mysterious, and full of richness.

And we're driving everyone around us nuts with our collective apathy toward this wedding. But we recently discovered we aren't alone...

We were given this FANTASTIC book by an Episcopalian minister, and I think it must've been written in the late 1950's. oh nope, I just looked, 1965. Anyhow, it's wonderful. We decided to read it out loud to one another (which is something we used to do all the time and stopped for some reason, but I think it's one of my very favourite things to do together.)

Anyhow, he writes early on about doing marriage prep with young couples, where he's talking marriage and they're talking wedding. He writes
"I tell them that the average wedding is a kind of irrelevant fling with no connections before or after - a preoccupation with the details of thirty minutes at the expense of the commitments of a lifetime."

So far, it's one of my favourite lines. Oh I've got so much more to write on the topic, and I'm feeling inspired which may mean I'll keep at it.

For now, the mop and broom are calling me, and the sanctuary needs a song to fill it.

5 comments:

Spiro said...

so glad you're more interested in marriage bit. there's a bit too much wedding business in this part of the world. (and to my profit...)

Sharelle said...

"a bit too much wedding business". well-said spi. oh boy. the wedding business. kick me.

but man, bonnie i cannot wait for yours, for the sacrament of marriage. for the live-giving vows.

anticipation is rising my friend. and now because i can't wait to see your colors. ha.

Sharelle said...

"and not because i cant wait to see your colors"

who screws up a joke with a spelling error?

THAT would be the english teacher.

wow.

Kristina said...

there's more anticipation for you and C's day than most other moments in LIFE.
you are loved.
and my friend, we need to talk soon.

tiffany said...

welcome back. i'm happy to read your writing. it makes me a bit closer to you, even though we live so close. shit bon.