Tuesday, December 04, 2007

oohhh boy

well.

i have to draw up an exhibition proposal. a hypothetical exhibition proposal. the thing is, I really, really like the work of one of the artist's I've chosen and I'd love to see an exhibition along these lines come into fruition.

So, here it is, masculinity in art.

And that's all I've got so far. Apparantly I have a knack this year for selecting topics far too complex for the time I have.

So, without getting into the slough of questions the theme raises, I'd just like to ask one: what is masculinity?

and now, latinus me vocat.

latin is calling me.

1 comment:

aejrussin said...

wow! latin!? i hope it's going well.

masculinity... is... a set of arbitrary characteristics passed on and reinforced by centuries of political and philosophical advancements in the social and economic scheme... i think.

(not arbitrary as in random, arbitrary as in a set way of thinking, but random in that it could have been differently...)

i'd say masculinity is so important because it is entirely indicative of the economic system of capital. whereby the characteristics of capital favour those characteristics of male-ness, thus reinforcing the stronger sex.

but thinking about it further now... i wonder what the masculine characteristics are. i always associate them with the negative feminist, more abstract philosophical notions ie. individualism, power, self-interest, ignorance, etc. and in no way think of chivalry or honour or those other things with males. but maybe i'm wrong?