Saturday, January 20, 2007

the best free tickets of my life...

not long ago, I was reading an article in Harper's magazine about...well really it was about donater's fatigue...anyhow, the author made a point about how in North America, we've replaced the ancient gods of greek mythology with modern celebrities...which I think is sadly true, but profoundly legitimate in the case of Gord Downie.

The trouble with trying to write about a concert that immediately claimed an eternal spot on the "top 5 live shows" list is that by the time you arrive back home, you are at the mercy of your wholly inadequate memory...and truly the whole experience has become a blur of bright lights, incendiary dance moves, a showman that was one number shy of changing my life, and applause that ought to have never ended.

I will say this: when they played "Ahead By A Century" I almost shit my pants. When Gord sang "In View" everyone sang along. "New Orlean's is Sinking" seared my heart for the upteenth time. And I've never been so glad to have a lighter on me as during "Fiddlers Green", to join the thousands of souls swaying in the candlelight.



And then I decided, If this Good Nation ever decides on a new anthem, I think "Courage" ought to be it.

If you weren't there, I wish you could've been. If you were...I know...

1 comment:

Kristina said...

The most brilliant concert review I've ever read. Really.
Not only do you get art, you know how to appreciate it to the fullest, and then go on to write about it as if you not only lived but thrived in that moment.
I wish I could have been there.
Next time.

k.